Flammkuchen, flam-kuche, Flàmmeküeche lit. “flame cake” - many spellings, but all delicious - this is a German dish from the Baden/Alsace border region borrowed from the French (tarte flambée) borrowed from the Italians (pizza).
As a variation you can swap the creme for salsa and tomato to make something closer to pizza.
This makes two flammkuchen.
Tasty easy to make German/French variation on Pizza
Cook time: 5M
Prep time: 20M
Total time: 25M
Nutrition: 850 calories
- 125g white flour
- 75ml water
- dash of olive oil
- half pot of crème fraîche
- pinch of nutmeg
- finely sliced red onion
- small pack of lardons
- handful of gruyere/parmesan
- Mix the flour with the water, olive oil and a pinch of salt until stretchy. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, switch the oven on to 300C (yes, hot!)
- Roll out dough very thinly on a floured surface and transfer to baking parchment on a baking tray.
- Mix creme, nutmeg and season and spoon/spread over pastry evenly.
- Sprinkle over onion, lardons and cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until crispy at the edges.