Frying pan pizza
I originally got this recipe from Pizza pilgrims, a great restaurant chain in London. It’s the best results I’ve got at home for matching the sheer heat of a proper pizza oven to produce proper crispy thin based Italian pizzas. No thick crust here.
Take care with the hot frying pan - it’s really easy to get burnt!
Great t1rick to get pizzas close to pizza oven results at home
Cook time: 10M
Prep time: 20M
Total time: 30M
Yield: 2 pizzas, enough for 4 hungry people
Nutrition: 600 calories
- ¼ tsp dry yeast
- 250g white strong flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 150ml water
- tomato puree
- jar of salsa (couple of spoonfuls)
- 2 generous pinches of grated parmesan
- basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 125g mozzarella, roughly torn
- pepperoni or other toppings
- Combine yeast, flour, salt and water, knead briefly (2mins), then leave to rest for 18-24 hours.
- When dough is ready, preheat frying pan to screaming hot and grill too.
- Combine the tomato puree, salsa and most of the basil
- Remove dough from bowl onto floured surface, and divide into two.
- Roll into flat round
- Place dough in hot frying pan and spread over tomato sauce
- Add mozzarella and parmesan, remaining basil and anything else
- Drizzle top with olive oil (optional)
- After 2 minutes, check under base for some scorching and then transfer to under grill
- Cook 2 more minutes, rotating every so often so it cooks evenly
- Flip out of pan, slice up and cool a little then serve
- Cook the other pizza