Green tomato chutney
A great way to make use of unrecipe end of season tomatoes. Thanks to Mrs Beeton for the original recipe!
Cook time: 6H
Prep time: 30M
Total time: 7H
Nutrition: 580 calories
- 450g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 450g onions, chopped
- 2kg green tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 450g sultanas
- 15g salt (or less)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1cm fresh root ginger, bruised
- 750ml malt vinegar
- 450g Demerara sugar
- Put apple, tomatoes, onion and sultanas in a large saucepan and stir in salt and cayenne.
- Tie the mustard seeds and root ginger in a muslin bag, add to the pan with 500ml of the vinegar and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a second pan mix the remaining vinegar and sugar, stirring constantly over gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add to the tomato mixture and simmer steadily (DO NOT boil or it will burn on the bottom!!) until the chutney reaches the desired consistency. This will take several hours.
- Remove the spice bag, pour the chutney into warm clean jars and cover with vinegar-proof lids.
- When cool wipe the jars, label and store in a cool dry place.